Wednesday 2 May 2018

TRANSITION: Editing the Test Shoots

As the editor of our mockumentary, I edited the test shoot. I haven't edited in a while as I was the producer of the studio production for the past 4 months, therefore, I had to remind myself of a lot of things. Initially, I forgot to sync the audio at the beginning and I realised half way through editing. This wasn't a big issue as it was only the test shoot, I now know to remember to do it for the editing of the real shoot. 

Sheila's interview
I first put together Sheila's interview with Alex being the stand in for Sheila. This interview was very straight forward to edit, it consisted of overlaying covering shots of Coco, the husband, and changing between Alex's close up and mid shot. 

After putting the interview on the timeline, I started by adding in the first cover shot that Alex spoke about - this was Sheila's husband who passed away in a car accident. For this shot we used a photograph of Alex's mum and dad on their wedding day, this was purely because we were filming this scene at Alex's house. 



Next, the task was to add in covering shots of Coco playing in the park as this scene is mainly about her. There were a couple of shots which didn't look very good because of the camera being handheld, which is always difficult to control. Also, as it was a very bright day yesterday, Katie struggled to see the screen and to see when the shot was in focus or not, therefore, there is a lot of footage going in and out of focus. 

I picked the best shots from these and added them appropriately into the interview, while keeping the sad parts of the dialogue on Alex's close up. 




These shots were also a different colour to each other. The grass on the first photo was very bright as we were shooting down onto the grass and the dog when the sun was out, whereas, the grass in the second photo was very dull compared with the first, and the sky was very blue. To match the shots I brought the saturation down on the first photo and upped the exposure on the second photo to brighten the grass. I think this worked well and both shots match better now, the first one is still slightly brighter but we can clearly see it's a sunny day and the sun is shining down onto the grass.

I took out the buzzing sound behind each audio clip with Adobe Audition. I was unsure on how to do this but Alex showed me once and I did it to the remaining clips. After this I asked Alex how the whole video was. He said it was good, but suggested moving the shots of Coco around slightly, as some seemed more appropriate at the beginning, and that way we could see more of Alex's close ups during the emotional parts. 

Finally, I added a music bed throughout the whole of the interview. While I was looking on the YouTube audio library, I knew I wanted some music that didn't have much to it, because we have talking throughout the whole video and I didn't want any complicated music which could have taken focus from the interview. 

In the end I found a piece called Heartbreaking in the 'sad mood' column, which was free to use as long as I credited the owner:

Heartbreaking by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution licence (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Source: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1100208
Artist: http://incompetech.com/


The music bed fit perfectly as it hasn't got much to it, meaning no focus will be taken from the story. 

When I was finished with the video, I showed Alex. As he is the director of the mockumentary, I wanted him to make sure the video was complete and ask for any feedback on it. Alex said he really liked it, as there's an equal amount of covering shots and close ups of Alex so we can feel the emotion, as well as seeing what we're hearing. We have all agreed that this is how we want the final edit to look like for Sheila's interview. 

Final test shoot:




Blood splatter test
In the mockumentary, the vet operates on the dog and blood splatters out and on his face and clothes. We needed to test this to prevent wasting time the filming day. In the end we found the water pistol the best thing to use. For the test shoot, I simply cut down the footage of Alex squirting Aidan with the non-toxic fake blood in the pistol, and added a photo at the end showing the result with using the water pistol on Aidan.

Final test shoot:





Lighting test
We tested different dramatic lighting for the surgery scene. This was very bitty as a video because people were talking in the room about different subjects and we changed the lighting in our own time, which took a while. Because of this, I watched through the footage and every time we changed the lighting I took a screenshot. This way we have documented the different stages the lights went through until we found the brightness that we liked. 

Stages of lighting:



Until we found the final lighting we were happy with:



We understand that the lighting may change during the real shoot, as we will be filming in a different location and we may not be able to make it this dark during the day. The lighting may need to be tweaked slightly because when Aidan looks down his face becomes very dark, this may be a simple case of brightening the fill light, but we will play around with the lighting more on the day. This is a good starting point for us for the shoot, again this will save us a little bit of time on the day. 


What I have learnt from the edit:
- Once I had brought the footage up full screen, I noticed that the videos had quite a bit of grain on them, none of us realised this on the test shoot day. However, Katie now knows about it and knows to turn her IOS down to prevent grainy footage on the filming day.

- I will research more into audio and colour grading to build my knowledge on editing.

- Katie took a static shot of a photograph of Coco which was sat on the side table during Sheila's interview. Alex suggested putting this in the edit, but when I did we realised we could see Alex's reflection in the glass and as he was moving and talking at the time it was really noticeable. I kept it in the edit because we wanted that shot, but we will be aware of this next time, none of us noticed it during the test shoot. 

- Once I took out the background noise, some of the dialogue sounded as if it echoed. I am now aware of this and will make sure none of the audio sounds like this in the final edit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...