Friday 9 December 2016

DIRECTIONS: My Chosen Director

Chris Weitz
One director I have always heard about and want to get to know more is Chris Weitz. Weitz has directed many well-known, big-budget studio affairs such as The Golden Compass and from the Twilight saga - New Moon. He also directed American Pie and About A Boy, both of which were Oscar-nominated for their adapted screenplay. I don't think Weitz has a distinct style because of the range of different genre of film he has directed, from the comedy American Pie to drama Twilight: New Moon. I like this about him as he can produce fantastic work for different types of film.
He also wrote the adapted Disney's Cinderella. Again, another completely different type of film, a remake and a classic which he handled brilliantly. 
The Twilight Saga: New Moon, 2009
American Pie, 1999

From Weitz's work, the film I will look at is Twilight: New Moon, as I believe it is one of the best films from the saga, and the best scene is when Bella is sitting at the window looking out of it and as the camera spins around her every time we see out the window the season has changed. This is showing the time passing on as the seasons change, I believe this is clever story-telling with no dialogue for a good couple of minutes. My initial idea about this scene is to show the seasons changing in my own way and then moving on to add more people in, her friends who are worried about her. I think I'll be able to create a good visual story with this scene in mind. 

Screenshots of the scenes I have chosen:















The next thing to do is to create my 6-7 page script. Most of the scene I have chosen is with very little dialogue so I will research how to make a script with no dialogue to make the script the best it can be, therefore, easier for my characters to understand. Something I need to really think about is the beginning, middle and end part, as the scene is from the middle of the film so do I create my own beginning and end or just take these from the beginning and end of the scenes and include them as the opening and ending to my script. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...