Thursday 1 December 2016

STORYTELLING: Project Evaluation

Screenshot from my film
I thought this first unit turned out quite well. I learnt a few new things, for example, how to write a script and different ways/types of filming to help make my film the best it can be. I'm pleased with my script in the end, especially after the re-write as it made more sense after that. I was relatively pleased with my film.
I also think having to write the script from scratch was helpful in how to actually create a story which people would want to watch. I learnt about stories needing a goal, conflict and change in order to create a successful story. 

I think it could have been better visually as I am very into photography and making photos/shots look good and I feel that some my shots weren't very good, especially the establishing shot along the top of Botany Bay. This is the first shot of my film and I really wanted it to be impressive to give a good first impression to my film, however, I think I moved the camera too fast so we couldn't really see much detail at the location. 

Another thing which bugged me a little was that the scenes outside I had to shoot during the day as the night was too dark and then my inside scenes were shot at night so you can tell when Joseph walks into the house the lighting changes from bright and blue skies to a warm light-lit hallway and bedroom. This is noticeable if I shot the inside scenes during the day the curtains would be open with the daylight shining through and the lights inside the house wouldn't be on. To improve this I could have changed it with colour corrector on Premiere but I don't think I knew about the corrector enough to do this. However, in our next film this is something I will definitely use it to make my film better. 

I was really impressed with my actors, considering as they are just my friends and aren't actors themselves, I thought they played the parts really well and co-operated well with me while planning the shoots. They made the re-shoot easier also which could have been a stressful time so close to the deadline. I thought my general story-telling in the film was good, especially when I re-shot and added the other establishing shots so the viewer would know where we are - this made my film better. 

I am looking forward to starting the next unit in the new year to apply all the things I have learnt in the first term. Hopefully, from here my future films will be bigger and better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...