Saturday 2 February 2019

MAJOR PROJECT: Props and Costume Shopping List

As we agreed during the Pre-Production unit, we would all put in £500 making our budget total £1,500. This amount was calculated from adding each aspect of filming together, creating one final amount £1448.69. We felt putting in an even amount of £500 would make more sense than an odd amount. We agreed to put the money into my bank account, so I would have full control of the budget and it would all be controlled using card payments rather than cash. This can also prevent losing money by keeping it all in one bank account. I made sure that this bank account just had the money for VET-MAN in it, meaning I wouldn't get the budget confused with my own money. 

As we are due to start filming next week, I have created a shopping list from the props list. This is a small list I can refer to when I am out shopping for the props and costume ready for the shoot days. As we are filming at The Kent Owl Academy next week, and filming the rest in a couple weeks time, I felt that it was priority to get the props and costume for the owl academy shoots first. 

Props include:

- Doctors bag (to buy brought)
- Van & logo sticker (to buy brought)
- Owl food (provided)
- Leaflets (printed)
- Fake Owl (brought)
- Gauntlet (provided)
- Needle / syringe (owned)
- Fake blood (owned)
- Feathers (to buy brought)

I created an example leaflet for the pre-production package, this included a photograph of a vet from online and the slogan for VET-MAN along with contact details. As the photo of the vet was just for the example, I needed to create a real leaflet for Tim to hand out. To do this I simply replaced the photo of the vet with our VET-MAN logo, as this was in design during the pre-production stage so we didn't have it ready at the time to go on the example leaflet. I kept the slogan on the front to add more information of VET-MAN and I finished it off with Tim's contact details at the bottom. This number matches the number on the van, which is from an old sim, which won't actually go to anyone if it's called. Although, we won't see the leaflet up close in the film, I felt that there should be writing in the inside of the leaflet to add to the believability of it. This will then cover any flashes of the inside of the leaflet that we may see unintentionally. Ed and Dan will be more focused on their performance rather than how they are holding the leaflet, so as a result of this, to cover ourselves I decided to repeat the slogan inside the leaflet a few times. I thought that this was a simple way of making the leaflet look more realistic, and as we aren't going to see the inside of the leaflet on purpose then it didn't matter if it made sense or not. I also copied this on the back side of the leaflet so there were no blank pages on any sides that could be shown on camera. In addition to this, as we aren't going to be looking at the inside of the leaflet intentionally, I didn't want to waste time writing something that isn't going to be featured in the film. This gave me more time to prep for the upcoming shoot days.

As we have no real branding to VET-MAN apart from the slogan and logo, I simply kept to our colour scheme and positioned the 'Tim Stewart VET-MAN' as it was in the Transitions Unit, as we quite liked this layout. 


VET-MAN leaflet

I have kept the fake owl from the test shoots from the previous unit. As we discovered the owl worked really well and I only would have brought the exact same one for the shoot days. Fortunately, the owl wasn't too badly damaged from the test shoot so I felt it was acceptable to use the same one. The owl punch is meant to be quick anyway as we don't want the owl to be noticeable as a fake, so as long as the owl still had it's shape I felt it was acceptable to use. 

As shown in the pre-production package, I brought the natural feathers from Hobbycraft as these best matched the owl we want to fly from the academy. Researching into the different styles and colours of feathers was beneficial when it came to shopping for the props as I only had to refer back to the package to remember which ones I had chosen. 

Costume include:

- Hoodie for Tim (to by brought)
- Hoodie for Luke (to buy brought)
- Fleece (provided)
- Black leggings / jeans (to buy brought)
- Wellies / old trainers (provided)

The rest of the filming will take place during the week of the 18th February.

Props include:

- Woman's laptop bag (no longer needed)
- Scrubs (provided)
- Mask (provided)
- Photos of skevy (provided)
- Frames (provided)
- Printer (provided)
- Diploma (created and printed)
- USB stick (provided)
- Bring mac
- Smart bag (provided)
- Doctors bag (to buy brought)
- Vet Van (provided)
- Van keys (provided)
- Fake drugs for glove compartment
 (paracetamol, oregano etc - provided)
- Screwdrivers (philips & flathead - provided)
- Stethoscope (provided)
- Latex gloves (provided)
- Syringe (provided)
- Scalpel (to buy brought)
- Fake blood (provided)
- Fake cat 
(to buy brought)
- Something to run over (provided)
- Bin bag and carpet (provided)
- Pint glasses of drink
- Bloody tissues (to buy brought)
- Black eye makeup (provided by make-up artist)


The diploma that Tim prints out in the first scene was a last minute change at the end of the previous unit. I created an example diploma to give Alex an idea of the prop and he suggested a few minor changes. These included a change in the University name, a slight change in words on the diploma, VETT and fake signatures. I had already questioned Alex previously about using the University name 'Royal Veterinary College' as this is a real collage in London and due to the nature of the film and copyright issues I wasn't sure if we were allowed to use the real name. As we are showing a man who has failed his degree at the University and then proceeds to forge his diploma and accidentally kills a couple of animals, I was extremely unsure whether to use the real college name or not. Fortunately, Alex understood my concern and changed the name slightly to 'Royal College For Veterinarians'. As we are planning on showing the whole diploma when Tess points out that Tim spells vet wrong, at the time I felt very strongly about changing it. 

When Alex reviewed the document he suggested to get rid of some of the writing which I agreed with, I just copied example documents that I found online. As a result of this, I took out 'In testimony whereof the undersigned have subscribed their names and affixed the seal of the University'. This makes it look less busy and easier to focus on VETT instead of the extra writing. In addition to this, as the story as changed slightly with the idea of Tim not spelling vet correctly I had to change the words 'the degree of' as we are now focusing more on the spelling mistake and subsequently the fact that he had forged his diploma, rather than solely focusing on the forged diploma. To combat this, I changed the words to 'is now a fully qualified' and then underneath in large, bold writing, VETT.

The final diploma is shown below on the right (outlined in grey):


Old diploma (left), new diploma (outlined, right)

Costume include:

- Smart clothes for Tess (provided)
- Black hoodie (to buy brought)
- Scrubs and mask (provided)
- Grey hoodie (to buy brought)
- Light pink cardigan (to buy brought)
- Everyday clothes for both Tim and Luke (provided)

As I am in charge of the budget for the film, I am responsible for buying the props and costumes. I didn't want to leave this too late, in case I couldn't get everything, therefore, I started it a few weeks prior to our first filming date. I had guidance from Alex towards the types of props and clothing that he wanted, which helped me to decide what items to purchase. For example, Alex wanted Luke and Tim both to have hoodies, with Tim's having a zip in particular. He also said that he wanted Luke to have a light coloured hoodie, and Tim to have a dark coloured hoodie. I decided that Luke's hoodie didn't need a zip to show some difference between the two hoodies. Therefore, I brought a light grey pull-over hoodie for Luke and a black zip up hoodie for Tim. As I wrote in the pre-production package, I felt that Sheila's character should be in a pink top as I believe that pink is an innocent and popular colour with elderly women.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...