Tuesday 26 March 2019

MAJOR PROJECT: Creating Rough Cut 4

I had completed Rough Cut 3 ready for the viewing with Simon and Beth and I planned to create Rough Cut 4 for any changes they suggested for the rough cut before I could pass it on to the fine cut.

Final changes include:


Tighter shot on “I’m VET-MAN” 

- I agreed with this piece of advice within scene 1 as it is an important and comedic part of the story. This could also be the place in which the titles appear which would bring more significance to it. Due to this, I understood that it required a more focused, close-up shot. I changed this accordingly, however, we didn't have the coverage for the close up that I pictured in my head when I received this feedback, but we had a mid shot (shown in the second photo below). The first photo below shows the shot that Tim initially says "I'm VET-MAN" in, and the second photo, shows the mid shot that I changed it to. Although this is a mid shot and not a close up, it focuses on just Tim instead of Tess and Tim which is the point that the feedback was referring to. As the line "I'm VET-MAN" is important to the story and adds to the comedy, we really needed to see that line come from a shot of just Tim, which I understand. Obviously the shot is very dark but it will be corrected during the fine cut.


I held the shot until he knocks the vase off the table by the door, before cutting back to see Tess's reaction, instead of cutting back to the two shot, I felt that this would be too much cutting around and the mid shot was sufficient enough to continue until I needed to cut back to Tess.

Tighter in owl academy car park

- I was advised to make scene 7 tighter in the car park of The Kent Owl Academy. I agreed with this point too, I felt that the sequence leading up to Tim and Luke talking was quite long compared to the rest of the film. In order to shorten it slightly I first took out the shot of the van where we watch Luke get the bag out of the bag of the van. This shot is quite long and all we are doing is watching Luke get the bag out and meet Tim at the front of the van. I decided that this shot wasn't working and wasn't necessary. I didn't think twice about whether I should keep the shot in or not as I thought back to my research with Anthony Boys  and he advised to take a shot out if it's simply not working or adding anything to the story. With this in mind, I didn't hesitate to take it out. My feedback was to make the scene shorter and this was the perfect shot to remove without taking anything away from the story. The audience know how important the bag is from the first scene, and it's inevitable that they would take it with them. As a result of this, I didn't think we needed to see Luke getting the bag out of the van. 

The new sequence of when they arrive at the academy are the two shots below:


New sequence for arriving at the academy

“...besides, I need to get changed” 

- I was reminded that I had accidentally cut out one of Tim's lines "besides, I need to get changed" in scene 4, and because this highlights the reason as to why Tim changes clothes half way through the film, it was necessary to be kept in the edit. To rectify this, I just searched through the synced audio for the clip which included this line and replaced it. 

Once I had completed these changes I exported the film into rough cut 4, we had all agreed that we were happy with the placement of the footage, and it was time for it to be passed onto Katie for the fine cut. She will now be able to refine the film even further by adding sound effects and working on the audio. 

Rough cut 4




Reflection

Although I haven't exported each video in relation to the different stages of the rough cut that I researched into, I have still followed the stages in order to end on the final rough cut. I initially researched into rough cuts and the stages an editor needs to go through to do create a successful edit, and I have followed these, but I haven't exported the video after each stage was complete. For example, I logged and synced the footage and audio as I found in my research. Then the assembly cut was essentially rough cut 1, however, it had a bit of refinement in it, such as preventing the audio from peaking. This meant that rough cut 1 was an assembly cut leading into a rough cut. Rough cut 2 was simply a more developed rough cut, and rough cut 3 was the edit that I focused on with Alex, which makes this the directors cut. Alex had a say in each of the rough cuts as I didn't want Alex to dislike something I had spent time editing, but his focus was on rough cut 3, helping me get it ready for another viewing and ready to be passed onto Katie. Rough cut 4 was the final changes from feedback I received on my final viewing, so it was up-to-date for Katie. I felt this made more sense because the majority of changes were happening within the rough cut, and if I had exported the video after making all the changes that I've spoken about in my blog posts for rough cuts 1 - 4, then I wouldn't have had the videos showing the improvements from each rough cut. 

- One of Simons first bit of advice when it came to the edit was to work on the edit as a whole, rather than sections. I took this to mean that there shouldn't be sections of the edit that are better than the others, the edit should be the same quality throughout on each rough cut. I believe I followed this through each of my rough cuts, apart from just before the re-shoot. I wanted to work on the other scenes to avoid wasting time on the edit, and then my focus was only on the re-shoot and GVs when I got back into the edit. Although, I was advised to work on it as a whole, I believed I was using my initiative here by not wasting time before the re-shoots. I didn't change the other scenes a lot, only refined them slightly. It would be a different case if I had passed the edit onto Katie to work on the audio and colour grade it while leaving the re-shoot scenes until last. As a result of this, I only refined the rest of the scenes slightly while waiting for the re-shoot so I believe that I did work on the edit as a whole and I am very impressed at what I have achieved over the past month in my part of the post-production stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...