Tuesday 7 March 2017

DOCUMENTARY: Introduction To Doc's & My Idea


Today was the first session in our documentary unit with Helen. From the minute I heard of our task I felt good about it as to me, it didn't seem as difficult to think of an idea than the directions unit. I also like the fact we're in groups as the previous projects have been very much independent.

The good thing about being in groups is being able to have a variety of ideas within our group which we can choose from, also it would be nice to have a section to focus on each once we get into the production part of the unit instead of having to do every single bit on our own. Personally, I would like to be more involved with the pre and post-production rather than actually going out and getting the footage, so I feel like I will be able to concentrate on these slightly more. 

I am with Sophie, Jack and Callum in my group and to start with, we all need to think of an idea of the documentary and choose one to progress with. The task is called 'Teen Spirit' and our ideas need to be in the following areas:
- Health/wellbeing
- Family/relationships
- Science/technology
- Wildlife/environment
- Community/social affaires
- Music/arts/culture
- History

My idea:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2073024/BBCs-little-white-
lie-Polar-bear-cubs-filmed-Frozen-Planet-zoo-Arctic.html
Initially, I thought of David Attenborough and his documentary 'Planet Earth' which would fit in with the wildlife/environment area, however, possibly not in with the title of Teen Spirit. So if we were to change this we could do a documentary of the lives of teenagers rather than wild animals. Where we would hear David's voice over saying "here, we have the polar bear in his natural habitat" while looking at footage from the Arctic, we could have "here, we have the teenage girl in her natural habitat" while seeing a young girl watching TV in the living room, playing on her phone instead. 
As social media nowadays is very popular and many teenagers are on at least one form of it. The next part of the documentary could go on to show the relationships between teenagers and their families like how David shows and talks about the relationships between the animals and how they get on with each other. 

However, I am not sure if this is a solid idea because I think it may get boring. It worked with the wild animals because it was interesting to see what they get up to in their habitat but that would become very boring if we were to do 10 minutes on a teenagers' life. I also don't know if this would be appropriate for BBC3 so I will do some research on different channels documentary subjects to get a better idea on what to base my documentary on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...