Thursday 27 September 2018

PRE-PRODUCTION: Pre-production Schedule 1

As producer for this film, I need to be organised with different paperwork ready throughout the production process. While we are in the planning stage, I need to create a pre-production schedule. Usually on a high-budget film the producer wouldn't do this, it would be the production manager, however as there is only three of us in our group, this is my job. I wanted to do this as early as possible so we have a schedule to follow throughout the majority of this project. If I was to create a schedule half way through the unit, then I would run out of time for the deadlines to be set. The quicker we have deadlines set for script drafts, test shoots and casting adverts etc, then the quicker we can meet them. It is also my opportunity to write down all the parts which need to be complete to create a good package. 

I researched how to create a professional schedule and found many ways I could set it out:


http://templatedb.me/pick/

This table includes each stage of production, from development to broadcast and distribution. It has included each stage but it's not split them up into more detail which is what I expect mine would have to look like to include everything. This table is mainly highlighting what part of each stage should be done each week. There is a couple of notes underneath the table but for me it's not obvious to which note belongs to which stage. I think it would be clearer if the notes were written in the table, either in the coloured boxes if they were bigger or at the end on the same line as the stage it relates to. However, I do like the idea of using different colours, as this does stand out and it's easy to see what should be happening in each week, by finding the correct week and tracing down to the colour. 


http://thevillas.co/tv-production-schedule-template/

This schedule is slightly more detailed as it highlights meetings with other members of the production crew, and different shots that are needed for the film. It also splits up the editing into two types - editing solely and then editing with the animations and graphics designer. By looking at this table you can see how many more jobs there are that need to be done rather than just looking at the stage called 'post-production' - no one knows what's actually going on during the post-production stage. This table also has no colour to it, maybe it's meant to have colour added to it when it's been filled in, but looking at the size of the boxes in the table, it may only need to be ticked when completed. Again, this isn't in enough detail as I'd like mine to be. However, I like how both of the tables are structuring the stages by weeks, I could do this and then go into detail, such as what's happening on specific dates in the notes column.  


https://www.maketecheasier.com/useful-microsoft-excel-templates-for-film-production/

This last example is better than the other two. It uses both colours and notes and is easy to read. However, it's done by days of the week rather than weekly. This is more detailed and I like the idea of it, but we've got four months for this unit, the schedule will be too long and not as easy to read. Especially if some weeks we'll only we doing a few things, e.g. a location recce one week and the test shoot on the next week. I don't think we need every single day scheduled - on the days we're not doing anything practical towards the planning of VET-MAN we'll be researching into the project anyway. 

All the examples include the post production stage, however mine won't include this as this pre-production unit is just the planning period. I like the idea of using the colours (in the first photo) as it stands out and is easy to read, however it's not a detailed as it could be and doesn't look as professional as the other examples.

I think I will use both notes and colours, so it's easy to have a quick glance at but is also detailed with notes explaining what's happening on each day. I understand that this schedule will change throughout the pre-production process as our ideas change. 

Schedule 1:




This is my first attempt of a schedule. The first thing I did was set the major deadlines, such as the green light pitch so we know when we need the powerpoint completed, when the book needs to be completed in order to have it printed and delivered in time, and the final deadline on the last week of term. As I was then able to easily see each deadline, I set out the different jobs and when they should be done by. I started by putting in a prep / research column as the majority of the beginning of this project will be researching into the show by looking into the locations and genre etc. 

I remembered that Simon recommended creating a schedule for when I wanted each script draft finished by so I made scripting the next row. I worked with Alex to decide when he would be able to get the drafts finished as I didn't want to set an unrealistic goal for him. He explained that the first draft will take the longest as he'll be writing that one from scratch, but each draft after this will be easier and quicker as it'll be just tweaking the previous draft. We agreed that he would have the first draft completed by Week 6, and then 1-2 drafts each week, resulting to around 6 drafts by Week 9, which will then be inserted into the book. 

The next row was casting, this was for mine and Alex's benefit so Alex knows when the character profiles need to be completed, as once these are done I can create the casting adverts to go online. If I hadn't scheduled this, I may have put the adverts out too late or I might have received the character profiles too late. If these were late then it would impact on our auditions as we could have run out of time to hold them. I also scheduled the auditions along the same row as casting, this way we know when we need to get the cast in. We will be holding the auditions in The Maidstone Studios so we need to know the audition dates to book out a lecture room in advance.

Locations were next. Again, this job was for my benefit. I scheduled when I had to contact the locations and visit them for a recce, and when we were going to be there for the test shoot. This way I will be able to have the dates on hand in case we needed to remind ourselves. 

The next row was for the D o P roles, this was so Katie could stay on track with the schedule. As a group we decided when it would be suitable for all of us to attend the test shoots. Once we decided these, we were able to contact the Kent Owl Academy, through Alex's sister and ask if these dates suited them. I also scheduled a date for the storyboard and shot list to be completed. This way Katie had something to work towards as we need these in the package at the end of the project. I scheduled the storyboard and shot list to be completed before test shoot 2 as at this point we should be practicing some shots we want in the actual film and the only way to remember these will be with an up-to-date shot list. Obviously she can't create the storyboard and shot list without a script so therefore, I scheduled it after a couple of drafts of the script, because by this time there should be no major tweaks to the script, only minor ones. 

The last thing I could think of to include in Schedule 1 was the budgeting. We will need to have a deadline for when we want the GoFundMe to go online on our social media accounts. I made a deadline for this because it's a smaller part of the production, as most of then budget will come from Katie, Alex and myself, and if I hadn't scheduled it I might have forgotten and then we wouldn't have an any other funding to add to our budget. I will also be busier trying to source the props rather than thinking about raising the money. The idea around the 'major project pre-production' choice is so it's able to go into production the day after we hand it in (14th Dec), therefore, we will need all the props brought by the deadline. This is why it's essential that the GoFundMe goes online relatively early to give time for donations. 

I added in a note column so I could go into more detail for each task, e.g. the specific dates for test shoots. I understand that once the schedule starts to change, I need to update it and create Schedule 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...