Wednesday 25 January 2017

DIRECTIONS: '2 Women' Script with Steve Finn

Today was the day I directed my script, 2 Women, which we received from Steve last week. I had planned my script out and knew how I wanted the first page set out, I had also made a pink bakery box to hold the cake and brought in plastic plates and cups because one of my actors, Kristin, is setting the table for a party. 


Elizabeth then enters with the box and starts the dialogue. Kristin is annoyed at Elizabeth throughout the scene as we then find out at the end that Elizabeth is having an affair with Kristin's husband. However, she doesn't find this out as Elizabeth throws her off the scent and Kristin ends up liking her again. For these parts I used Aimee and Katie and they played the characters really well, Callum was on the camera and Conor was the sound man. 

My master shot was from the side of the table and the camera was placed above the imaginary fridge. This way I could see Katie walk in and talk with Aimee all in one shot. Then when it was time to use the fridge, my plan was to be face on seeing the fridge open and the box being put in it as I thought this was an interesting angle. 


I was pleased with our little production and when it came to the feedback I think Steve liked the idea of it and he said he could see where I was coming from. This was the main thing I wanted Steve to say because the worst thing would be him not understanding my take of the script. One thing Steve did say was that when Aimee went to leave she had no where to go and was just wondering around the kitchen talking. He said I should have made clear where the doorway was so Aimee had a direction to walk in when she said she'd better say hi to the guests. I understood what he said and took it in, and it is definitely something I need to think about when directing the scenes for my project. Apart from this I was very happy with my work today and I feel like I've learnt a lot from Steve. 


Below is my edit:





I thought my edit was quite good however some of the shots didn't quite join up. Luckily, they didn't ruin the edit and it still looks reasonably good. For my directions project I will make sure the action is the same in the shots, making it easier to cut. Unfortunately, even with the boom, the background noise is quite loud and isn't continuous when I cut as obviously people were in different conversations when we re-shot. This isn't too noticeable but background noise is definitely something that will be on my mind when filming for my project. Another way to fix this would be to bring that noise down in post-production which is something I didn't think to do as this was a quick edit, but I will sort it for my directions production.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...