Monday 13 November 2017

PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE: Follow-up Research

http://stray-notes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/
bbc-bitesize-science-info-is-wrong.html
BBC Bitesize

BBC Bitesize is an online education tool for school pupils about many different subjects. It includes information pages and mini quiz's so pupils can test their knowledge at the end of each section. The website is easy to follow and is separated into different sections for the different subjects, and then into even more subheadings for the different topics. 

Bitesize is an online learning tool which is what my video will be once it's finished. It was good to see how it was structured on the screen which has given me a guide in how I could structure my voice over. As its shown below, the structure and layout to Bitesize is very simple and straightforward for younger people to navigate around the website to what subject they want.


BBC Bitesize 

The text is easy to read for any young children up to teenagers, which is how I want my voice over to be in my film - easy to listen to and understand. Simple words and with it spoken slowly can avoid any confusion or misunderstanding of the dialogue. I would like the different sections of my film (introduction of tool, why and how it was used and the description of the tool) to be as simple as the ones on the Bitesize website. Understandably, my video is something you would watch and Bitesize is an interactive website but the simpleness is the same as I want for my film. 

The Open University

The Open University provides the opportunity for people of any age to learn from a distance rather than actually going to a university for lectures, e.g. from home. This sort of university course would be helpful for mothers or someone who works a lot so they can learn from home during their everyday life.  

The Open University is similar to the commission I am producing work for because I can fit the schedule around my own time. This suits me because I work part-time in the evenings and it would be difficult to fit a work placement around that. I can also contact the staff I am liaising with from the Guildhall by email, therefore, I do not have to go the museum all the time. 

The work I produce for the museum is also like an Open University for the audience as they are learning something without having to attend a lecture and can access it from their own homes. This is similar to the current programmes on BBC One, Blue Planet II. This programme allows the audience to learn about the different types of animals who live in the sea. This is a beautifully shot programme which broadens the knowledge of the audience. 


http://divemagazine.co.uk/eco/7830-blue-planet-ii-preview-screening

Problems facing museums

Museums are always trying to find ways to bring more interest into them. For example, the Guildhall Museum have branched out for films being made about different objects and other exhibitions only in the last couple of years. Putting these on their website could increase the public’s interest and they may be more likely to visit. The only problem with this is that if people are viewing the videos online and a lot of the information is there, they might think they now do not need to visit because they’ve got all the information about the exhibitions online. This is very common because the internet and social media are increasing and therefore, people are looking at the relevant information on their laptop screens from the comfort of their own home, instead of going to visit the museums.

Public funding is another issue that museums are facing, there is a reduction in the funding which means that the museums are not getting enough money to keep them up and running. There are donation boxes in most museums but not everyone donates money, which is what keeps the building standing. To prevent museums from this, they need to be more focused on our relationships with partners and audiences. The arts council had taken a number of measures to help the sector, including providing more support for networks, simplifying the Accreditation process, looking at ways to help museums generate new sources of income and working with Major Partner Museums on issues such as workforce diversity. 

Source: http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/10112015-darren-henley-on-the-challenges-facing-civic-museums

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...