Tuesday 14 November 2017

PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE: Location Recce & Risk Assessment

The Guildhall Museum
My first visit to the Guildhall Museum to meet with the staff, was the perfect opportunity to have a look for any risks involved with filming there. I was aware that I wouldn't be able to take the object away from the museum and it had to be filmed there, understandably. I preferred that because I wouldn't want to be responsible for the object when taking it away. Nevertheless, Rachel and Steve were extremely helpful and suggested helping us take an object outside the building if we wanted, as the natural light would look a lot better. 

I am filming on a day when the museum is open to the public (Tuesday 21st) so I will need to take the amount of people on site into consideration. Rachel said I could take the object into a empty meeting room inside the museum, unless I want to film it outside, so I will be careful not to get the equipment out until I am in the room with just Steve and George. This will help prevent the equipment from getting damaged before I have even started filming. Furthermore, I will make sure it is all packed away before I leave the room, again to prevent equipment and wires getting in the way of the public.


I will warn both George and Steve of the wires and keep the cables out of the way, hopefully off the floor. I think I will take out the DSLR if one is available with Ferg. As I will be getting the train to the museum in case there is a delay on the motorway, using this camera means I can travel light and not have a heavy camera to carry to and from the train. I may ask George to take a tripod and lights in his car and I'll meet him at the car park and help carry the equipment to the museum. The bigger equipment will be safer in a car than on a train. 


Steve will be transporting the objects as he handles them everyday as part of his job, and I wouldn't trust myself to move them. If I decide to and am allowed to take the tool outside, then I will only do so if it is good weather and if it is not raining. The risks are very low and are controlled with help from Steve and Rachel. Therefore, there should be no problem in getting the go-ahead for filming. 


Medway River

I want to get a couple of shots, wide and close up's of the Medway River. I will put the microphone on top of the camera to get some sound from the atmosphere/waves/water but I will be careful that there are no wires on the ground and I will stay away from busy places up the river and large groups of the public.

The weather is always an issue when shooting outside. Ideally, I would like to get to Rochester slightly earlier than they're expecting me at the museum so I can get the shots of the river. If it is bad weather in the morning, I will try again at lunch time and if not when we've finished filming at the museum and hope that some point during the day it will be good weather if not for the whole day. 


I want to get close ups of the river as well as wide/establishing shots, therefore I will want to get closer to the river, this means there is a trip hazard. I will be careful not to get too close to the water to prevent myself slipping over. The risks here are low so there should be no problems with getting the go-ahead to film at this location. 

My house

There are less risks for filming at my house. I will be needing to film the chalk, clay and sieved powder at this location. The only risks will be wires from the camera and microphone. To prevent anyone falling over them, I will make sure they are off the ground or not in the hallway, or any other regularly used path through my house. This risk is very low so should have no problem with the go-ahead for my filming.


Photo of risk assessments for the three different locations

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...