Wednesday 12 October 2016

STORYTELLING: Camera Workshop 3 - Crossing The Line Project

Today was our third camera workshop and we got straight into the camera work as we had a talk about what we were going to do on Monday. Today's project was 'Crossing The Line'. In this workshop we got to put the 180 rule to test. We had a script and had two people reading the lines, one person on the boom and one directing/on camera. I had an idea for mine the other day and I made what I had in mind.

When I was director and camera man, I started with a wide shot of my actors talking through the whole scene, I did this so we could see where we were. In this case, we were only in the studios, on location this would work a lot better.
Then I got them to say it again with me slightly closer so all was in the shot was them sitting on their chairs. After this one, I zoomed in on Danny's face and again they recited the whole script. Finally, I zoomed in on Sophie's face and did the same, this is so I got enough coverage of all angles I could think of at the time. After the others had a go at their short films with me as the boom person and one of the actors, we had enough time to go over a few more shots. I thought about it and seeing as we're only there today I should get as many shots as I can from more angles. So I then took a few more, one pointing at the face but with some of the other person in the shot too and then a couple of the persons feet while they were walking up to the other person.

I thought mine went well and am looking forward to editing it, however, I don't think mine will last the full 1-1.5 minutes but I'll try my best.


Below is my final Crossing The Line video:




Looking back at my video after I had finished editing it I was really happy with the outcome, I was correct in thinking I wouldn't make the required 1-1.5 minutes but I'm still pleased with it nonetheless. To make it longer if I was to do it again would be to make the introduction to the people longer. Danny could be standing or wondering around for longer and I could have made the walk longer that Sophie had to do.

1 comment:

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...