Friday 17 February 2017

DIRECTIONS: New Moon Colour Palette

My filming had to be pushed back to the following weekend (18th and 19th Feb) because my main actor couldn't make last Sunday with a last minute emergency. This wasn't too bad because I had a commitment last Sunday which would have put us under pressure to get everything done by the evening, this week my actors and myself are free for the whole day on Sunday. This delay also let me plan even more for my shoot. A colour palette is something I needed to look at to make sure I get the same look as Weitz wanted in the original New Moon.

As all 4 films in the Twilight saga are directed by different people, I thought the first thing to do would be to have a look at the colour palettes in each one to see if they follow the same colour scheme or not. Before looking into this I thought that they would be slightly different because even though they just follow on with the same story, the different directors will have different views about how they want the film to look. Twilight was directed by Catherine Hardwicke, New Moon was by my chosen director Chris Weitz, Eclipse director was David Slade and Breaking Dawn part 1 and 2 was directed by Bill Condon. These directors are all very different and therefore will definitely have a different view. 

The main films I have compared are Twilight and New Moon, this is because I have been looking into the director of the first in the saga, Hardwicke, and the second is the film I have chosen by Weitz. As you can see in the picture below, Hardwicke's interpretation of the book had a blue tint to it. These icy tones could be to show the cold-blooded vampires and their paleness. However, this could come across confusing as Twilight is about first love and the blue tint could suggest sadness/coldness which is the complete opposite. (1)

New Moon had a golden tint to it making it look warmer, this could be to show the friendship with the wolves and their warm-blood. However, New Moon can be seen as more depressing than Twilight so ideally the colours could have been swapped, causing the blue tint to show the sad/depressing atmosphere. The warm colour palette can take away the paleness the vampires have, but the blue tint was, at times, too harsh and strong on the film. (1)

(2)
After researching into this I have realised how different two films can look depending on what colour palette is used and will aim to make my film have that warm look to it to correspond with the original New Moon. I will either do this in post-production or will change settings on the camera to give me that warmer look.  


(1) goodreads. (2017). Team Twilight Discussion. Available: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/152049-twilight-blue-tint-new-moon-gold-tint-changing-color-palettes. Last accessed 16th Feb 2017.

(2) http://s85.photobucket.com/user/swtirishgirl/media/new-moon-twilight-blue-tint-gold-ti.jpg.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...