Sunday 26 February 2017

DIRECTIONS: Editing My Scenes & More Feedback


I started editing my clips on Thursday and so far the film is looking good. I have strayed away from the script slightly by mixing some sections around, in the script it starts with the time passing and then it goes onto the disappearing photos and sending the emails. However, when I was putting it together I decided that it would help make the idea of the time passing better if the seasons scenes were in amongst the emails. 

Another decision I had to make in post-production was what song I would use for the scenes when the the seasons change. I had three in mind; the original song from New Moon - Possibility by Lykke Li, A Thousand Years - Christina Perri or Time Waits For No One - Black Label Society. I considered using the original song because hopefully it would help make viewers realise it was that particular scene from the Twilight Series. Also, I knew the meaning of the song would match the action because it is the song they use. I thought about A Thousand Years because it's a song I love and it is used in the saga in the last instalment Breaking Dawn: Part 2. This one also makes sense as it is about falling in love but being afraid and doubtful which is like New Moon because Bella fell in love with Edward and gave everything to him but he left, making her heartbroken and feeing like she can't love again. Another song I considered was Time Waits For No One - Black Label Society, however this is sung by men and I felt like the song should be by a women as my scenes are about a girl and is her point of view, it only made sense for a women to be singing the background song. Nevertheless, I tried all three songs in the rough cut but the original song sounded better with the action. The last decision about the song was for how long to put it on for. In the original film as it is only used for the time passing bit I felt I should do the same, also the music was not needed for the two scenes with the conversations. 

On the fine cut deadline I was able to show Mike and Simon my film which was nearly finished. They both enjoyed it and told me what I could improve on. Mike mentioned the font and colour of the words AUGUST, OCTOBER and DECEMBER should be changed. They were black, however, these were quite flat, but Mike recommended white to bring the words out more. He also recommended that I don't cut back and fourth from the laptop to my actress back to the laptop back to my actress again as this was a bit too much for the audience and it would be more effective if it was a longer shot showing either the email or the actress. Once I had spoken to Simon, he encouraged me to show the shot of my actress longer than the email because the story is in her facial expression rather than what she is writing in the email. This was great advice from both Mike and Simon and when I changed the shots and lengthened the one on the actress it made that couple of seconds so much better. Simon was also the one who said about the background noise during the two conversations was too poor and recommended me download an ambiance noise from the internet, which again was a good piece of advice because the background noise was very noticeable and brought the quality of the film down. Simon said that already this film was better than my previous one in the other project which gave me the confidence that this film is actually better than I think it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAJOR PROJECT: Project Evaluation

Production My aim for this major project unit was to further develop the aspects of production which I had written about in the p...